My Love Of Tofu



I love cooking with tofu quite often.  It is sometimes referred to as "bean curd" (as in the soy bean curd).  It's funny that when ever I say, "bean curd" around Americans, they are often confused at what I am saying.  Then I correct myself and say, "tofu". 

There are two brands I always try to get, "House Foods Organic Extra Firm Tofu" or "Melissa's Extra Firm Tofu".  In a pinch I might pick up the "Firm" if my grocery store is out of the "Extra Firm".  I love the texture and consistency of the "Extra Firm".   All of the others are too mushy for my taste.

The only time I like a softer tofu is when I have Agedashi Tofu.  It is a tofu square that is dipped in cornstarch and then deep fried.  After that it is immersed in a bowl of savory broth and bonito flakes, scallions, or seaweed shavings are sprinkled on top.  Yum.




Although in the United States tofu is commonly used by people seeking a meat (protein) alternative, I like cooking tofu with meat as well as without.  It just adds another dimension to what ever you are cooking.

If you freeze tofu, you can alter texture.  As the tofu freezes, the water content firms up into shards of ice.  The separation between the curd and the water is now permanent.  Once you thaw frozen tofu you will discover that the tofu appears more porous and the texture has firmed up.

Westsoy is also another brand that I enjoy.